Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What are the steps to petition a grandson

Customer Question
what are the steps to petition a grandson
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Petition for (a) visitation, or, (b) custody?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

custody
my daughter was a single mother they are in the phil. my daughter has no job to take care n send my grandson to school I only send them money for their needs

Thank you.

Have they always lived in Pennsylvania, or just moved there less than 6 months ago?

No they live in the philippines
I tried both of them to have a tourist visa but both denied
im thinking to petituon my grandson to come in here

Thank you.

This is then an immigration question, and focuses on possibility of adoption/guardianship of a child while the parents are still in the picture.

I am going to move this to the immigration category and opt out so another expert can help you.

Ok thanks
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor had to leave.
Under US law, there are no visa categories by which a grandparent can sponsor a grandchild. Is it possible for you to adopt the child in the Philippines? Are the parents willing to allow you to adopt the child?
I didnt see my grandson since birth only in pictures n videoso
Thank you for your reply.
In order for you to get your grandson to the US on a visa or even to get citizenship if you are a US citizen, you would need to adopt him in the Philippines first. Upon adoption, then you can file for him to obtain a visa (or citizenship if you are a citizen) to come to the United States and live with you. The Philippines is a party to the Hague Adoption Convention, so you can fill out the visa forms at https://travel.state.gov/content/adoptionsabroad/en/us-visa-for-your-child.html and apply for a visa for the child once you complete the adoption in the Philippines.
You will need to complete the adoption in the Philippines and then go through the US Embassy in the Philippines to get his visa paperwork filed in order for him to come to the US.
What is the first step adopt my grandson where i get adoption paper what site to have the steps for adoption

Thank you for your reply.

You would need an attorney in the Philippines to begin the adoption process, it has to be done there and we are not attorneys in the Philippines, so you would need to get a family law attorney there at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com