How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27241
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad has dementia and is in a nursing facility and has

Customer Question

my dad has dementia and is in a nursing facility and has been for about 2 yrs now. they moved about 4yrs ago and the house they lived in for yrs is falling apart, they never actually owned the house and don't know who the owner is? anyway the city is coming after my dad because of city weed ordinace and has issued a warrant for his arrest. what options do we have as the only money my parents have is his social security. we live in texas also
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. How do you know a warrant for his arrest has been issued? Also, if he does not own the home and simply lived there, how/why are they holding him responsible instead of the owner who is on title?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my mother received a letter in the mail today stating a warrant for his arrest. on the other I cant answer that unless they orginal owner is dead now and consider my parents owners under the homestead
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. It is odd that they would issue a warrant for his arrest, for overgrown weeds, since this is a civil/county violation and not criminal. Moreover, they would assess fines and place a lien on the property and then if needed, step in and cut them and bill the owner. Your mother or you should try and verify that the arrest warrant is related to this, since there could be more to it. In addition, simply living there as a tenant, should not have resulted in them having any ownership interest in the home. The owner should be on title, which is recorded, so I also find it odd that they are going after him. You shared that they moved 4 years ago and if they vacated and merely rented, the responsibility to maintain the home would be with the owner, not a tenant. It is important to verify this warrant, since you do not want the police arrested him at the facility or something like that and if needed, this would have to be lifted/vacated and the violation would need to be looked into. You can contact legal aid and ask them to help or obtain counsel and see if they would take the case pro bono, based upon his hardship and then if someone has POA, they would need to get involved as well.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!