Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I just got my first letter from Ramsey County Attorney

Customer Question

I just got my first letter from Ramsey County Attorney ordering me and my daughter to meet with the attorney over my daughter's missing so much school. I'm wondering, if I choose to ignore them what can they really do to us as far as court procedural penalties....school is out this first week of June.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My daughter has serious physical illneess ( epilepsy) and serious mental health issues (chronic depression and anxiety). Any counselor knows that when the child is in a chronic state of depression their immune system is very diminished and they can get sick very easily. My daughter has been out of school over illness most of her missed days and because we don't have health care, I can't just go to the doctor to get a note every time she gets sick. So, now they are getting nasty and acting like my daughter is out of school because she wants to be which is so not the case.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Your best bet is to respond with the a docor's note. showing a legitimate reason for the absence. Otherwise, you can be cited for your daughter's truancy and potentially fined or even jailed. It is not something you will want to ignore.