Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My boyfriend always paid child support in full when s child…

Customer Question
My boyfriend always paid child...
My boyfriend always paid child support in full when his child was under 18. We live in Wisconsin. His ex found out she could request payments from age 18 to graduation 18 months after the fact and went after that. Even though my boyfriend and I funded his daughter's college out of country. We no longer make what we use to. How can we fight this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/20/2016
Family Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Under Wisconsin law, a parent’s duty to support his or her child continues until age 18, or age 19 if the child is still enrolled in high school or working on a high school equivalency course (GED). "Emancipation Notices" will be sent to both parents 90 days before the verified date of graduation of the 18th birthday of their youngest child. The order for current support will end when the youngest child turns 18 unless a parent shows documentation to the child support agency that the child is still attending high school or is enrolled in a program to obtain his or her GED. So if the child is in college, the obligation will be ended. Check your child support order to see if the end date for graduation has been provided. If not and you know your child’s graduation date, contact your child support agency. Your duty for current child support ends during the month that your 18-year-old daughter graduates.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will not cost you anything extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site. Thank you in advance.

Just checking back in,do you have any further questions?

Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer