How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend always paid child support in full when s child

Customer Question

My boyfriend always paid child support in full when his child was under 18. We live in Wisconsin. His ex found out she could request payments from age 18 to graduation 18 months after the fact and went after that. Even though my boyfriend and I funded his daughter's college out of country. We no longer make what we use to. How can we fight this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Under Wisconsin law, a parent’s duty to support his or her child continues until age 18, or age 19 if the child is still enrolled in high school or working on a high school equivalency course (GED). "Emancipation Notices" will be sent to both parents 90 days before the verified date of graduation of the 18th birthday of their youngest child. The order for current support will end when the youngest child turns 18 unless a parent shows documentation to the child support agency that the child is still attending high school or is enrolled in a program to obtain his or her GED. So if the child is in college, the obligation will be ended. Check your child support order to see if the end date for graduation has been provided. If not and you know your child’s graduation date, contact your child support agency. Your duty for current child support ends during the month that your 18-year-old daughter graduates.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will not cost you anything extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in,do you have any further questions?