Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want to petition to get my original birth certificate

Customer Question
I want to petition...

I want to petition to get my original birth certificate released. I was adopted by a step-parent when I was 11 and her name is ***** ***** birth certificate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was born in Montgomery County Maryland in 1983and adopted in Fairfax County Virginia in 1996 after my father remarried. My mother had died in 1994.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2016
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

What exactly is your question?

I want to know how to petition the court to release my original birth certificate. I know I have to petition the court but want to know which court (is it where I was born or where I was adopted?) and what form I can use to get the document released.

You would have to file the petition in Maryland (where you were born.) There is Nikki standard form. You would have to prepare the petition from scratch. Most people hire a lawyer to do that.

Sorry, that's supposed to say, "That's no standard form..."