S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

I want to petition to get my original birth certificate

Customer Question

I want to petition to get my original birth certificate released. I was adopted by a step-parent when I was 11 and her name is ***** ***** birth certificate.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was born in Montgomery County Maryland in 1983and adopted in Fairfax County Virginia in 1996 after my father remarried. My mother had died in 1994.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

What exactly is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know how to petition the court to release my original birth certificate. I know I have to petition the court but want to know which court (is it where I was born or where I was adopted?) and what form I can use to get the document released.
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

You would have to file the petition in Maryland (where you were born.) There is Nikki standard form. You would have to prepare the petition from scratch. Most people hire a lawyer to do that.

Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, that's supposed to say, "That's no standard form..."