Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In July of 1999 I got married 2nd time. reason my first wife…

Customer Question
in July of 1999 I...
in July of 1999 I got married for a 2nd time. For some reason my first wife screw up our divorce so I got divorced right after that. so my 2nd wife did not want to be with me any more,now after almost 17 years her parents are taking me to small claims court and sueing me for $3600.00.is there some kind of statue of limitations on something like this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/19/2016
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

What is she suing you for?

For the amount they payed for wedding

I don't understand why they thin this would be your obligation. Were you still married to someone else at the time? Are they accusing you of fraud?

In what state is this?

Hawaii yes I was still married at the time but I didn't know that
I got divorced from my 1st wife immediately after I found out.its not like I did it intentionally

Did they say in their court papers whether they were accusing you of fraud (doing it intentionally) or negligence (doing it by mistake?). Also, when did they discovery this issue?

They just called me and said they filed papers in court today I didn't receive it yet.as soon as I found out I told my 2nd wife immediately. About a year after we got married

The statute of limitations is two years. In the case of fraud, the two years doesn't begin until the person discovers they have been defrauded. If her parents learned of it on the past two years and they are alleging that you did this intentionally, it might be within the permissible tube period for filing suit. But more likely, the statute of limitations has run out. You need to get a copy of the court papers to be sure.. They should provide you with a copy, or you can go to the courthouse and purchase a copy.

Ok then I will let u know what it says thank you very much

Chat with you soon!