Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a civil suit with CPS petitioning me to take

Customer Question
classes... I was charged with...
I have a civil suit with CPS petitioning me to take classes... I was charged with domestic violence However the DA rejected the charge's. The reason CPS is involved is because the child was present during the incident. My question is will a judge side with CPS and make me take classes in stay away from child? And do I need to write a written answer in response to the petition?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/19/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

You absolutely do need to file a response otherwise the judge is more likely to side with CPS on this issue. It really just depends on the judge but most judges do defer a lot to what CPS is asking for, so you need to have a good explanation for the circumstances of what happened. I think it helps your case that no criminal charges were filed, but again it is hard to predict how your particular judge will view the situation.

Should I include my charge dismissal letter with my written answer and if so how do I include that with my answer?

Yes that evidence would help you.

You would add it as an attached exhibit to your answer.