Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My dad's will was filed in NJ and set up a children's trust…

Customer Question
My dad's will was filed...
My dad's will was filed in NJ and set up a children's trust held by Merrill Lynch in his 1976 will in which each child was treated equally ...My mother was the co executor along with my ex husband ... her sister and husband as trustees of the estate. My mother died Nov 1st 2015 and she had the trust in her own name (somehow?) The trustees or the co executor were never told about this change or loophole. She has my brother's family as the beneficiaries of over 800,000 dollars. I am contesting it in Maryland where she died at 92.5 years, an 8th grade education, blind with gloucoma and reliant upon him. My brother already has the stock,insurance, house, contents in his possession. I have hired a lawyer from Annapolis. I asked him about a statute of limitations on such an old will/estate/trust? He did not know how that would be applied to this case.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/18/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

The will was created in 76 or the individual passed in 76? The trust set up for the grandchildren of the decedent was then transformed into a trust for the grandmother (wife of decedent)? Lastly when referring to statute of limitations for the 1976 will, are you referring to probation the will or contesting it?