Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Consumer protection law i suppose.
, I paid to have my…

Customer Question
Consumer protection law i...

Consumer protection law i suppose.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I paid to have my dog boarded with a sitter for almost a year as work took me urgently out of town. In that time I came to believe that my dog may have a better life with her. In November I stopped making payments and told her that my best friend could stay with her so long as I could visit and take her as needed. Shortly after she contacted me saying she could not afford Olive's healthcare due to her business declining. She also mentioned that she had not taken the necessary precautions in accommodating her disabilities. I realized of course that she was in not in a position of providing a better life to her. There's no greater animal expense than an older english bulldog. I let her know that I would need to pick her up and she has refused to respond to me. She is preventing me from visitation and refuses to tell me her health status. I want to know what I need to do to get my dog back. We never met for me to pass over paperwork because the problems began immediately.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/18/2016
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Do you have something in writing that says she's only allowed to keep the dog if you're able to come visit and take her back as necessary? Did she ever agree to that arrangement?

Also, I know it's difficult to place a value on our pets, but what is she worth as an older English bulldog (if you have to sue, that will matter)? What state are you in?