How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been divorced years and have had legal custody of my

Customer Question

i have been divorced for 6 years and have had legal custody of my 2 children the father hasn't been in there life much till recently and now he wants 50/50 custody what are the chances the court would award him 50/50 and he pays no support?????
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Genrerally, courts will not even entertain a request for modification unless there has been a significant change in circumstances......which generally involves a move, a remarriage, an issue of child neglect, drug abuse/substance/alcohol abuse, etc. So, if none of that is present, it is very unlikely that the court would grant him joint custody.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Also, if he's not in the child's life and provides no financial support for the child, the probability of him getting anything other than some form of visitation would be very low.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If there is no order for child support in place, you should also consider asking the court to enter an order establishing that.

Related Family Law Questions