Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been divorced years and have had legal custody of my

Customer Question
i have been divorced for...
i have been divorced for 6 years and have had legal custody of my 2 children the father hasn't been in there life much till recently and now he wants 50/50 custody what are the chances the court would award him 50/50 and he pays no support?????
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
2/18/2016
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Roger, Attorney

HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Genrerally, courts will not even entertain a request for modification unless there has been a significant change in circumstances......which generally involves a move, a remarriage, an issue of child neglect, drug abuse/substance/alcohol abuse, etc. So, if none of that is present, it is very unlikely that the court would grant him joint custody.

Also, if he's not in the child's life and provides no financial support for the child, the probability of him getting anything other than some form of visitation would be very low.

If there is no order for child support in place, you should also consider asking the court to enter an order establishing that.

Roger, Attorney