How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am recently divorced, the decree states our home is to be

Customer Question

I am recently divorced, the decree states our home is to be sold, until it sells we both have the right to reside there. We are equally responsible to pay the expenses of the home until the sale is finalized. We are not able to get a long he refuses to leave my personal possession's along, eats my food, refuses to leave my room, does things to annoy me in an effort that I will sign a quick claim deed over to him and leave my interest in the home. It is very stressful. I am not able to lead a normal life. I want exclusive use to the home, and do not know how to go about getting it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file a motion for order to show cause for contempt of court for him harassing you to intimidate you to sign the house over to him. As a part of the contempt motion, you would ask the court to order you to have sole possession of the home as sanction for his conduct.
This is how you get the court to stop the harassment and give you possession. The court is not going to be happy with his conduct, so you need to present evidence of this conduct to the court to show he is making the sharing of the home unreasonable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of court do I go to? And when I get there, who do I see?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You file the motion for an order to show cause for contempt in the same exact court you filed the divorce in that ordered you to share the residence. You file the motion with the clerk of the court. If you are not comfortable filing it on your own, then you need to have your attorney file it for you.

Related Family Law Questions