Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a child support order that states my son's father is…

Customer Question
I have a child support...
I have a child support order that states my son's father is to pay 39% of all uncovered medical bills after insurance is applied. He has refused to do so and he was provided with the bills upon me receiving them. Child support says they don't deal with outside legal issues and that I need to take him to court. How do I go about filing a claim? Our support order is in Butler County but I reside in Warren County.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/17/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this. ODJFS only helps to enforce child support. Since this is not child support, ODJFS steps back, forcing the party to enforce the decree themselves.

This is done by filing a contempt motion. Contempt is how one enforces the decree. Upon a finding of contempt, he can be admonished, fined, made to pay for your costs in bringing the motion, or even imprisoned.

You can find a form for the motion for contempt HERE. Your matter seems to fit #4 (page 2) of the choices for contempt claims.

This would be filed with the court, a hearing would be held once he was served. Then the Court may force him to pay and punish him if he does not.

Let me know if you need (a) leads for pro bono counsel in Ohio or (b) more specific steps on how to file a motion.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law