How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102504
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My nephew has severe eczema and i believe my sister neglects

Customer Question

My nephew has severe eczema and i believe my sister neglects his medical needs for this condition. Should i call child protective services?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. NJ CPS (called DCF) has a state-mandate to stand before the court for child custody if they feel and can prove the child is in danger or being abused or neglected.

Whether or not this is neglect worthy of losing custody (or being threatened with this) is debatable. However, if the child is suffering due to the neglect, then DCF can threaten to pursue action in family court unless the parent agrees to a "parenting plan" where she corrects the problem and DCF checks up on the child for a few months.

If you feel that this is worth pursuing, you can file a complaint. It may be best to file the complaint anonymous, although in reality, it is never really 100% anonymity since the number or the IP address used is logged with the system and may be subpoenaed, for example.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!