How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I go about getting gaurdianship of my granddaughter

Customer Question

How do I go about getting gaurdianship of my granddaughter who is only 14 years old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the father involved at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thank you.

Given that, I assume that the mother has full custody of the child. In that case, you can file a petition for guardianship with the local court in the county where the child lives. If the mother consents, she can issue a joinder in the case and inform the court that she agrees with the request for guardianship. You will likely also have to name the father as a defendant in the matter and serve him with process (either personally OR by publication in the local newspaper if he can't be found).

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

So, it shouldn't be much of a imposition on you to get this done if the mother is agreeable and the father is not involved in the child's life.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Thanks very much!