Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How do I go about getting gaurdianship of my granddaughter…

Customer Question
How do I go about...
How do I go about getting gaurdianship of my granddaughter who is only 14 years old.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/17/2016
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the father involved at all?

No

Ok. Thank you.

Given that, I assume that the mother has full custody of the child. In that case, you can file a petition for guardianship with the local court in the county where the child lives. If the mother consents, she can issue a joinder in the case and inform the court that she agrees with the request for guardianship. You will likely also have to name the father as a defendant in the matter and serve him with process (either personally OR by publication in the local newspaper if he can't be found).

So, it shouldn't be much of a imposition on you to get this done if the mother is agreeable and the father is not involved in the child's life.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Thanks very much!

Roger, Attorney