How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter's abusive wife just left her while she was in a

Customer Question

My daughter's abusive wife just left her while she was in a mental institute for a few days. She moved items out of their apartment that her parents bought her as well as a few personal belongings. She then proceeded to open a new bank account and file their income tax return for direct deposit to her new account. She also told my daughter that she intends to keep all of the return unless my daughter gives back her wedding rings. She committed adultery and kept my daughter i My daughter is willing to give her everything that they still owe $ on including the rings but she wants a few pieces of furniture in the apartment. My daughter is currently staying at the apartment but her wife is making demands about coming to the house to get her belongings while no one else is home. My daughter is worried for her safety and is concerned Anna will empty out the apartment. Please advise if my daughter has to allow her access to the apartment, if she should give her the rings before receiving her half of the tax return and what the requirements are to get divorced if married in Oklahoma but wanting to divorce a yr later in Texas.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your daughter's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How long has the wife been gone from the marital residence?

2. When you say the wife's parents bought the apartment for the wife do you mean they purchased it and placed title in only the wife's name? Was this a true purchase or did the parents cosign for the rent?

3. Are they legally married, or simply engaged?

4. How long has your daughter resided in Texas?

Thanks in advance,