Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been living with a man years and we never married ..

Customer Question
I have been living with...
I have been living with a man for 14 years and we never married .. He has a lot of companies and I've helped start a few of them .. He is involved with someone and we still live together because he refuses to help me in any way to leave threatening to kick me out .. Do I have any rights at all In the state of Florida )
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/16/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. FL does not recognize common law marriage, so this is not a viable option. Furthermore, FL does not have palimony, so this is not an option either.

Therefore, the two parties would essentially be considered "roommates." There is no possibility for financial support unless he agrees to it.

If you have interest or hold a position in any company which he controls, then this may be used as a source of leverage and you can enforce rights as a shareholder, member, officer, or director or said companies. However aside from this, I am sorry to say that there are no real other options available.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.