Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How do I get my ex to file s taxes so I can sort out child…

Customer Question
how do I get my...
how do I get my ex to file his taxes so I can sort out child benefits, etc????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/16/2016
Family Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago
retireddebra

Please explain the basic facts and why your ex filing matters.

For example, do the children live with each of you for half the time?

Because I cannot file for any child benefits without his information. We are just going through a separation right now; in the middle of it as we speak, I am just curious as to how I can get the ball rolling faster. This has been an issue for a few years now, while together but now that we are separating, I am wondering what or how is the best way to proceed or to get his butt into gear?
Family Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago

Who says you cannot get child benefits without his information?

Is the child living with you most of the time?

I have tried to file for it but I need the fathers income tax return in order to get it filed. The child is living with me, yes, but that is kind of irrelevant when it comes to child tax benefits. They require both parents last year tax information which I do not have.
Family Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago

Is there an order or agreement as to custody and access?

no, just our own agreement
Family Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago

If there is a written agreement as to custody and access or else an order the CRA will not require the father to file.

Your entitlement to child tax benefits does not depend on the father when the child is living with you.

Have you spoke to the CRA about this?