Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What is a normal cost order of separation?

Customer Question
what is a normal cost...
what is a normal cost for an order of separation ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/15/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

For an Order of Separation and Maintenance, a typical attorney would charge the following:

UNCONTESTED (meaning the parties are in agreement on everything)

Around $1,500 to $5,000, depending on the situation.

There would also be filing/legal fees of several hundred, likely.

CONTESTED (meaning the parties are in disagreement on things like asset division, maintenance, etc)

Hourly at around $150 to $300 or more, with a retainer of anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000, or more.

Some places provide free/low cost counsel to individuals. Let me know if you need leads for this in SC.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!