How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27184
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am separated. My boyfriend stays with me occasionally, not

Customer Question

I am separated. My boyfriend stays with me occasionally, not sleeping together when my daughter is visiting. My ex and I have 50/50 custody. How would this situation effect custody, equal distribution etc. If my ex is aware of this. My boyfriend is very good with my daughter and the feeling is mutual between them. I just worry that I would be considered unfit since I am letting him stay over occasionally.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. When you say you are not sleeping together when she is there, you mean he sleeps in a different room or just leaves at night?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We sleep in separate rooms. There is no kissing or obvious affection.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. When it comes to custody, the Judge is always going to act in the best interest of your daughter. With that being said, unless your Ex can show that having your boyfriend around is harmful or dangerous to your daughter, it should not necessarily effect the issue of custody or that the Judge would see you as unfit. HOWEVER, what your Ex could ask for and what the Judge may grant, is that he not stay there overnight. It is not an issue with affection or anything like that in front of the child, but more of having him sleep there, which the Judge may not allow, unless you are engaged or married.That is something you should be aware of and prepared for.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions