How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118111
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm currently married to an inmate in a California prison

Customer Question

I'm currently married to an inmate in a California prison and I live in new jersey. We married in prison and have never consummated the marriage and now I want to get an annulment. How do I go about getting this done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can file for an annulment in NJ, where failure to consummate the marriage is a valid ground for annulment. Upon filing the petition for annulment, you have to get him served by a process server in CA with a copy of the petition and summons to answer the suit. Once he is served, if he does not answer then you file a motion for default judgment and the court can issue the judgment of annulment terminating the marriage.
It is faster for you to hire a local NJ attorney to get this done, because then you would be assured not to miss any steps and it would be done more efficiently.