Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to get this minor a child lawyer

Customer Question
i need to get this minor a child lawyer
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/15/2016
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

Can you provide details as to what the minor needs a lawyer for?

i have auido recording of her legal gardian admitting she hits her ad has put her hand down her pants

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this. What are you looking to accomplish? By that I mean, if you want to get the guardian prosecuted and the minor is willing to cooperate in that, you could report the matter to the police. The prosecutor's office would represent the interests of the minor who would not need a lawyer.

Or you could also report the matter to Child Protective Services, who would investigate. They could remove the minor from the household, and the court would appoint a lawyer for her in a family court action. With a finding that this was going on, they would also turn the guardian over to police authorities.

Otherwise, if you are simply wondering where you can find a lawyer, the best place to start would be with the bar association. Every state bar association has a lawyer referral service. They charge a fee of a about $50 for the referral, but they throw in a free half hour consultation with the attorney. Here's the information for NOrth Dakota.

well her guardian is smart and knew i was going to the police and she went to them and said i was raping her and put a TRO on me and i went to cps as next step and there pretty much usless
i want her removed from the house

So are you saying you were charged with a rape?

no the guardian told the cops i was so i hear there is an investagation going on but i have not got a phone call yet but im not worried about that cause i have not been involved with the minor i just need to get the minor help

You've never reported this to the police. If you did or if you went and talked to a prosecutor in the sex crimes division of the office, that may do the trick. If the minor were to go with you and agree that this is going on, so much the better.

If you don't want to go to the police because you believe you are being investigated, telling the minor's teacher and/or guidance counselor might be helpful. They are mandatory reporters when they learn of an abuse, and the authorities might give them more weight than they are willing to give you.

Otherwise, I don't know your relationship if any to the minor, but bringing a custody action in family court could be another way to get the information out and the guardian removed.

i figured that cps would have reported it but i will go to the police tomarrow...idk how the minor could go with a restraining order in place

If CPS investigated and found your report was accurate, they'd have removed the child from the household and also seen to it that the police were notified. I do not know what they found and what they did. There's nothing stopping you from reporting it to the police. And you're right. If the child has a protective order keeping you from her, she can't go with you. But the police would be able to talk to the child independently of you if they believe your recording.