Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My girlfriend lives in Florida with her aunt and uncle they…

Customer Question
My girlfriend lives in Florida...
My girlfriend lives in Florida with her aunt and uncle they aren't her guardian. Her mom is. But she's living with them and they have the power of attorney of education but she recently just finished her GED and got it. Do they still have that over her? She's 17 and doesn't know. It says they have it until June 2016 but she finished her GED tests and passed and wants to come move back to SC with me until we go with her grandma to NY on April. Can she ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/14/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The PoA is still valid until her mom revokes it. However, if they do not have guardianship over her, her mother can still give permission as her mother is still the guardian. Thus, until mom gives permission, she cannot go with you anywhere.
Her mom said if she comes back to SC she doesn't wanna talk to her or have anything to do with her. And she doesn't w***** *****ve with her mom cause she says her stepdad hits her and the mom takes his side. And her uncle and aunt are trying to control her telling her to quit her job that she loves and telling her what college she needs to go to and all that. Thats why she wants to go live with her grandma and wants me to come
Thank you for your reply.
That is fine, her mom doesn't have to talk to her, just has to give her permission to go back to SC with you until she can go to her grandmother.
if her mom doesn't give permission then she'll have to wait until she's 18 right ? Cause I know here in SC you can be 17 and move out but in FL it's 18
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, if mom will not give consent, then she has to wait until she is 18 to do whatever she wants to do.
Okay thank you so much
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.