How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged $40,000+ in child support arrears. I went to

Customer Question

I was charged $40,000+ in child support arrears. I went to federal court because I was unable to pay the payments the state gave me. The feds, after doing the math, determined I only owed $23,000.
I paid that with a $3000 surplus and the state not only doesn't recognize the federal order (the state is the entity that took me to federal court) but they are charging me as if I never paid anything.
The mom makes $300,00p per annum and I have been forced to live well below the poverty rate for 14 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

How did you get the case into federal court? Were you represented by an attorney?

Also, what specific question can I assist with?