Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was charged $40,000+ in child support arrears. I went to…

Customer Question
I was charged $40,000+ in...
I was charged $40,000+ in child support arrears. I went to federal court because I was unable to pay the payments the state gave me. The feds, after doing the math, determined I only owed $23,000.
I paid that with a $3000 surplus and the state not only doesn't recognize the federal order (the state is the entity that took me to federal court) but they are charging me as if I never paid anything.
The mom makes $300,00p per annum and I have been forced to live well below the poverty rate for 14 years.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/14/2016
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

How did you get the case into federal court? Were you represented by an attorney?

Also, what specific question can I assist with?