How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11768
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Florida and recently found out I have a child

Customer Question

I live in Florida and recently found out I have a child support warrant in Ottawa County, Michigan. The local police here tried to arrest me at work but I wasn't there. They said they were going to extradite me. I have been homeless for most of the last 6 years, and only recently started working again. I contacted the court up there a few weeks ago to update my information (I have a pending disability case) and ask what I need to do for now, and they didn't answer me, just sent the local sheriffs to get me. I cannot lose my job to be extradited to Michigan, if that happens, I might as well go back to living on the street. I have not paid any support in many years and I realize that homelessness and unemployment and disability probably isn't an excuse, but it's the truth. I have tried calling the prosecutors office there and they say there is nothing that can be done except coming to Michigan, either by myself (which I can't afford) or by extradition, in which case I will lose my ability to start paying, my home, and everything I've managed to gain back this past year.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


I am sorry to hear that you have had such a difficult time the past few years.. Did you have a specific question that I can try to help with this afternoon?





Related Family Law Questions