Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My child was concieved here in the state of kentucky. 2

Customer Question
months into the pregnancy the...
My child was concieved here in the state of kentucky. 2 months into the pregnancy the mother of my unborn child decided to move with her mother to colorodo. She's living inside a restaraunt. Which im sure is no place for a baby nor a pregnant soon to be mother. Is their any way legally I can either bring her back to kentucky or get full custody once the baby is born. I would preferably like her to come back before the baby is born and make kentucky the home state. I have a good job and also a nursery already set up. I'm really lost and I dont know what to do. Plus its only been a month shes been living there so i would say the baby is 3 months along. Legal advice needed please. I am the father and I dont want my child being in colorodo. This is home and should be for the child too. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/13/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I admire your desire to help but right now there is really nothing you can do legally to force her back to Kentucky. Once the baby is born you certainly have parental rights but they will have to be enforced in Colorado if that is where the baby is born. You could try for an injunction in Colorado but I do not suspect a judge will force her to move back to Kentucky against her will. You can argue that her living arrangement is putting the baby at risk. The judge might consider this but it would be a longshot.

Also will the courts make me pay child support to my child which i cannot visit or raise

The worst part of my job is telling people when the law is not on their side but I would rather provide accurate and truthful info rather than give you false hope.

If you are not granted sole or joint custody with possession then you would pay child support. Once the baby is born you should file for custody. The judge should consider the quality of life you will be able to provide vs what she will provide.

We can talk via phone if you have additional questions. If not a positive rating would be appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer