Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

A woman who is divorced in Texas received child support

Customer Question
A woman who is...
A woman who is divorced in Texas received child support through that court system . she lives in south Carolina . If her ex-husband takes her back to court ( and this has happened several times with him not showing). Does she have to appear in Texas or is there any way to do this in South Carolina.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
2/12/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If the mother and the child now reside in South Carolina, that State could and would likely have jurisdiction over the matter and be able to hear it. It would not make sense for her and the child to have to return to Texas, for this to be heard, when they no longer reside in the state and have established residency elsewhere. Moreover, if he tried to take her back and she appeared and he simply did not show, without good cause, she can ask the Judge to award her and costs incurred as a result of this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not specific enough

I am happy to still work with you. Please just let me know what else I can answer or clarify? Your original question was general, so if you need to share more information, please do so

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer