How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9907
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 33 year old who wants to be adopted. I have a tumor

Customer Question

I am a 33 year old who wants to be adopted. I have a tumor in my head and I don't want my kids to end up with my mother she is on drugs. I have two people that I look at like parents and we want this to happen so they would get my kids if somthing was to happen to me. There biological father passed away
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this; a few minutes please as I look into this.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience.

Adult adoption is much easier as it does not require termination of the adoptee's parents' parental rights.

Here is the relevant statute:

405.390 Adoption of an adult. An adult person over eighteen (18) years of age may be adopted in the same manner as provided by law for the adoption of a child and with the same legal effect, except that his consent alone to such adoption shall be required. History: Amended 1964 Ky. Acts ch. 21, sec. 6. -- Created 1950 Ky. Acts ch. 120, sec.

An adoption provides the party with the legal relationship similar to a biological child.

The adopting party would file a petition to adopt for an adult, in the county where they reside. This will not result in a name change-rather, the adopted adult would need to file a petition to change name of adult after the adoption decree is entered.

General information here on adoptions:

Also, it is wise to have an estate plan, be it a will or a trust, when one has minor children, specifying the adult that one wishes to have guardianship of the children in the event of the parent's death. The court will generally give preference to these people, but will still conduct a "best interest of the child" analysis, as that is done in all cases involving minor children.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

Related Family Law Questions