FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I filed a divorce a year agao ago my lawyer give the judge

Customer Question

hi ***** ***** i filed a divorce a year agao ago my lawyer give the judge evertyhinh both parties signed since last year i am getting married this year i called the judge to get the final decree sign nothing has been done what can i do
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I signed a settlement of divorce last year i have been waiting on judge ' to sign i gave proof of my paper cuz i am getting married this july until now he said that he will sign but nothing has been done what can i do
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Just to be clear, you were represented by legal counsel? If so, why have they not contacted the Judge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did we even went to see judge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said last week but no answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really dont know what to do anymore , is there a law that can protect me from this

Thank you for the additional information. It is odd that this has gone on for so long and if he did not get any response from the Judge, then he would likely need to file a motion for a status hearing / conference, so he can appear in person and obtain an answer. The filing of the motion and the Judge reviewing it, may trigger the Judge to act and sign off or if there is an issue, respond and tell counsel why this has not been done. I am sure your attorney did a great job and provided everything that was necessary, so this fall with the Judge now and often times, they forget and need a reminder, which is why a motion should be filed and it should be set for hearing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could that trigger something else so judge . I was advised to speak to judge supervising

You are still represented by counsel and your attorney was retained till the end, so they should be speaking with the Judge. If the presiding Judge has not taken any action, then it could be escalated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my ex has to be in this hearing ,. I can say goodbye . It took 2 years for her to present to court , she was not showing and this judge allows her to keep missing court date
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why do you mean escalated . I did not talk to presiding judge yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking if it is a good idea

If all that is required is the Judges signature, then they should not need to be present if everything is signed and in the court file. You shared that you were advised to speak with the judge supervising, so I assumed you meant the Chief Judge, but if you have not tried to get in front of the Judge who is handling this, that is where you want to start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last friday I went and he told me in a week , I called everyday but nothing was done

At this point it may be best for your attorney to just set it for a hearing, so direct answers can be given.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok Yes let me set up a time to talk to you
I am at work now , don't want to talk personal
I am off monday

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will contact you monday

Sounds good.