How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I go about moving my kids out of state. I have a new

Customer Question

how do I go about moving my kids out of state. I have a new job in los angles. we live in Indianapolis currently and me and their dad are no longer married. we did out divorce ourselves so I don't have a lawyer
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The easiest way, if you have not tried it yet, is by getting a written agreement with your ex to allow you to relocate with the children for work purposes and a modified custody/visitation agreement. If your ex will agree, you put it all in writing, both sign it and then you file it in the court as a Joint Stipulation to Modify Custody.
If your ex will not agree, then you need to file a motion to modify custody and in the motion you need to explain the good cause reason for the move and ask the court to order the move. You need to prove they will have at least the same or better standard of living as they have now and also you need to show how you will facilitate visitation with the other parent.

Related Family Law Questions