Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

How do I go about moving my kids out of state. I have a new

Customer Question
job in los angles. we...
how do I go about moving my kids out of state. I have a new job in los angles. we live in Indianapolis currently and me and their dad are no longer married. we did out divorce ourselves so I don't have a lawyer
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
2/11/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The easiest way, if you have not tried it yet, is by getting a written agreement with your ex to allow you to relocate with the children for work purposes and a modified custody/visitation agreement. If your ex will agree, you put it all in writing, both sign it and then you file it in the court as a Joint Stipulation to Modify Custody.
If your ex will not agree, then you need to file a motion to modify custody and in the motion you need to explain the good cause reason for the move and ask the court to order the move. You need to prove they will have at least the same or better standard of living as they have now and also you need to show how you will facilitate visitation with the other parent.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer