Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am currently involved in a custody battle with my ex wife…

Customer Question
I am currently involved in...
I am currently involved in a custody battle with my ex wife I was able to get a custody modification due to me moving 400 miles away however it was ordered that the Parenting Plan B would not be put in place until I completed 4 visits in Augusta with my son which I have.. He is ordered to visit with me here in Florida for 5 days again the only stipulation was I must complete the 4 visits for this Florida visit to take place again which I have completed as I am sure you already Know georgias parenting plan B says that the parents must Either meet halfway or one drives all the way there to pick up and then the other parent drives here to Florida to pick the child up. There is a temporary order in place however there is not language as to how transportation will be handled is there any legalize or case law you think of that I can tell the Guardian that my ex must comply with the Parenting plan B I have attached the temporary order
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/11/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no case law on this or even statutes, these situations are based entirely on the situational facts in each case and the court decides what is best in the given situation. The courts want to see cooperation between the parents for what is best for the child NOT what is best for the parents. Thus, the courts revert to the standard parenting plan transportation guidance and will deviate only if there is some extenuating circumstance requiring deviation.
In Salmon-Davis v. Davis, 286 Ga. 456, (2010), the court ordered the parents to equally share transportation costs where one parent was in GA and the other was in Colorado. The court followed Bodne v. Bodne, 277 Ga. 445, 446 (2003). The Davis court also upheld the order to share equally in the costs of transportation for the children because the parties’ income was approximately the same and the Davis court did not order a deduction from child support funds for this expense.
So, basically, the GA courts say that both of you are to share the burden of transportation equally and it is up to you to work out how to accomplish that in a way that is best for the child.
what exactly does it mean in the order when it says All further mattersnot specifically addressed above are reserved until further order of this court
Thank you for your reply.
That means if something is not in your order the court is saying they will address it when someone files a motion in court to do so and will issue a decision on it in subsequent orders.