Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Divorce agreement finalized 10/23 in Michigan. Property

Customer Question
Divorce agreement finalized 10/23...

Divorce agreement finalized 10/23 in Michigan. Property removal was to be immediate but I agreed to 2 weeks. After several promises of getting a storage unit etc there has been nothing done.

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

I sent my attorney an email but have not yet heard back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?

He knows that a sheriff needs to be contacted to remove items as he seems to be confused/has no clue what he was truly awarded. I was forced to get a PPO as well which will be in effect until July 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/11/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a list of what he was awarded and he has not removed everything, you need to go to court and file a Motion for an Order to Show Cause for Contempt of Court and to Compel Removal. In the motion you would cite the final order and state that he has failed to remove the property and ask the court to grant him two weeks to remove the property or award you the property plus your costs of having to go to court to file the motion. The court will indeed order him to remove the property and that everything that is not removed would belong to you after that date. The court will also make him pay your costs for having to go back to court to force him to comply with the court order.