How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2157
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my spouse ask insurance coverage through company I work

Customer Question

Can my spouse ask for health insurance coverage through company I work for after our divorce (as part of marriage separation agreement stipulation)? I hear different opinions from different people, some say insurance company that provides health coverage for my company will not allow me to keep my ex-spouse covered after divorce.Same question regarding not legally adopted step children (from my wife's previous marriage), will insurance company for my employer allow me to keep them on my insurance policy if I did not adopt them legally and do not have legal custody over children? Can spouse request shared custody over children in marriage separation agreement in order for me to be able to keep children on my health policy?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Yes, she can ask for it. She can also ask for step children. If your employer does not allow it for non-biological children then you can voice that to the judge. As for covering her, it is up to you to agree or the judge to agree. If you agree to that, you should seek some sort of concession on any spousal support or other issue being negotiated.

If your company insurance does not allow it for some reason, the signed divorce decree serves as a court order that they would have to comply with. Alternatively, you can pay her the monthly cost of her own insurance premium but I imagine that would be more expensive.

In a divorce case, technically everything is on the table for negotiation. You just have to either negotiate an agreed divorce or let the judge rule on these open issues. Let me know of any specific questions you have.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I saw that you posted additional questions. If you like, we can do a phone call for an additional charge so that you can get all of your questions answered.

Related Family Law Questions