Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How should child care cost be accounted, should it be

Customer Question
included in expenses prior to...
How should child care cost be accounted, should it be included in expenses prior to net wages for child support OR should child support be accounted without the child care expense in Illinois?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/10/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Typically, child care expenses are not included in child support. Child support is only calculated going off income. The whole point is that the child support money is supposed to "recreate" the money the other parent would bring home. The custodian is then free to use that money on whatever they want, including possibly child care expenses.

However, the parties are free to decide themselves to include a mandatory amount for child care expenses in addition to whatever total the child support would come out to based solely off income. And, the Judge may at their discretion award additional child care expense money "in the best interest of the child," but this rare.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law