Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was asked to sign a paper about s pension. i was told my…

Customer Question
I was asked to sign...
I was asked to sign a paper about his pension. i was told my signature was needed so he would get a lump sum. I was served papers the next day. am i still entitled to something since he already received the money and we are still married?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/8/2016
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Yes, you're still entitled to half. And double check the date on those papers - if he filed them before you signed the pension paperwork, there is an AUTOMATIC restraining order and he violated it by liquidating the pension. In many states, because he tricked you into signing that form, you could actually ask the judge to award you MORE than half the pension, or a larger portion of other marital assets in order to make up for his fraud.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.