Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in North Carolina I've been separated from my wife…

Customer Question
I live in North Carolina...
I live in North Carolina I've been separated from my wife for a year and a half now! Back in Sep of 2014 I had started a job with a company that required me to go to California for 10 weeks for job training. About 4 weeks in the company offered to fly the wife to my location and she refused the offer! One week later, I find out the wife had my older dog put to sleep because she was sick of putting up with my dog Plus I learned on Facebook that she moved closer to her job that would put her 2 hrs away from were I returned to. Also the wife is accusing me of committing adultery in California in which I did not do. The last 6 to 7 months we have been hashing out about total of 10 different separation paper, we have not filed for a divorce yet plus I think we have most of the separation papers worked out but she will only sign it if I sign over two of our vehicles that is paid for to her. Plus she continues to tell me I owe her and her older children after being with her for 18 year and that I screwing up her life. What should I do, I'm lost to what to do. I want to move pass this and start a new life. I've had two lawyer tell me 16000.00 to start with and I did have no cash and the wife wants me to take about 130,000.00 in debt and she takes about 30,000.00 in debt. Thank you Kevin
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/4/2016
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good evening Kevin,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What sort of help are you seeking specifically?

2. Is your wife still living in NC?

3. How may vehicles do the two of you own?

4. What are the ages of the children?

5. Are all the children of your marriage, or are any from a previous relationship?

6. She says that you owe her and the kids----what does she claim that you owe all of them?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

1 I would like and is working towards to settle this with her on the settlement agreement and to file the divorce as no fault to either party, but I continue to see her change the settlement so she takes more and more each time!
2. Yes,the wife still lives in North Carolina.
3. 3 vehicles together plus I have three and she has one in her name only. Total of 7.
4. 4 childern =1- 32 , 2- 29, 3- 27 and 4- 11
5. all the children from a previous relationship . other than 11 year old that is a grandson that 3 of us has legal custody of.
6. That is a selfish big problem with her because all three children have had 3 vehicle a piece on us and it go on pass that Tv, computer ect ect

Good evening Kevin,

Given the lateness of the hour and the fact that you don't want a phone call, and as I have left my office for the evening, I will get back with you in the morning when I can take the time necessary to respond to all of your questions and issues.

Have a great evening,

Doug