Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 83 year-old mother has dementia and has recently been…

Customer Question
My 83 year-old mother has...
My 83 year-old mother has dementia and has recently been diagnosed with colon cancer. Several years ago she listed my daughter as her guardian because she was living with my daughter and her children. Since then my daughter has moved to another country. I would like to know how I would get an emergency guardianship over my mother and her affairs? Time is crucial.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/3/2016
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed CA attorney more than 30 years.

As your mother has dementia, she is not legally capable of participating in appointing you as her legal guardian and the only way you can get guardianship at this point would be to petition the local Probate Court in the county in which she resides and seek to be appointed as her legal guardian.

This can generally be done on an expedited basis if the medical condition of your mother is grave. You will almost certainly have to have a local Probate attorney handle this matter for you as expediting the process of acquiring legal guardianship is pretty complex and paperwork intensive---something that only a seasoned probate attorney is prepared for. Unfortunately, there is no other alternative.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Good morning,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law