How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** and I am wanting to know if i can

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and I am wanting to know if i can leave at 17 in the state of south carolina. i am recently out of a sexual abuse situation and was placed with someone i thought would be a well place but found out she sells her pills to people and cusses non stop and has ssaid her husband hits her. In South Carolina i know plenty of people who left at 17 and didnt get arrested or in trouble. I am trying to see if that still applies to me considering im in this home under a safety contract
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: In August i reported my father for sexually abusing me. Since then the state placed me with a family friend of mine marking her as my foster home but she is not a legal foster parent and gets no income from me. Recently I found out that she sells drugs to people including her own brother and has the guy she sells and buys from coming to the house every day. On top of that she states that her husband has tried hitting her and abuses her. I personally dont find this as a place for me to be to get through my abuse i went through. I have a good friend that is willing to take me in. I would finish school as im graduating this year and I would have a job and well support. I am 17. Can I move in with my friend and nobody be arrested
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please get back to me within 30 minutes
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The South Carolina custodial interference statute only applies to people under the age of 16. The general kidnapping statute says that it's illegal to take someone against their will, and because you're a minor, it could be considered kidnapping to keep you away from a parent or legal guardian. The better cause of action may be to contact the agency that placed you, explain the issues you're having, and see if they will place you elsewhere. It is theoretically possible for a person who allows you to stay with them to be charged with kidnapping, if someone notifies the police. It's MORE likely that the police would just pick you up and take you home, but if it happens more than once, then they could start looking into a kidnapping charge.

Related Family Law Questions