How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9330
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need to have an on the border wedding to process future

Customer Question

Need to have an on the border wedding to process future husbands legal papers. Where are this weddings being performed?
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Please clarify why you want to wedding to take place near the border.

Where would you like to have it performed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An on the border wedding is considered a wedding inside the us, which would be the best option to start my fiance paperwork for resident card? Brownsville? Would be perfect city to do it
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

You can apply for a fiance visa, see

and then marry in any State within 90 days.

Having him enter the US on a tourist visa and then get married is much more complicated than just getting married after he enters using a fiance visa. The immigration service does not look favorably on tourists who enter the US to marry when their original intent was to marry and not to be a tourist.

You can get a free consultation from some of the immigration attorneys listed by location here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer was some what helpful. I was told that if we married on the border it would be considered a us wedding which would make the paperwork a faster process
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

As far as I know the correct procedure to to get a fiance visa before getting married in the U.S.

A wedding legally cannot take place exactly on the border, only one country can have jurisdiction, so the wedding can be in Mexico or the U.S., but not both.

It is easier to prove the validity of a U.S. wedding to the immigration bureaucracy so applying for a fiance visa and having the wedding in the U.S. is the preferred alternative

Related Family Law Questions