Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter turned 21 last year and my ex continued to pay…

Customer Question
My daughter turned 21 last...
My daughter turned 21 last year and my ex continued to pay the support. He said it was because she was in college. I called CSU and they said the order was in effect until the youngest child turned 21 he is 17. They ex never filed a downward modification. I feel it was his responsibility not mines. Can he be award an overpayment of support because the order was never adjusted?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/3/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

He may get credit for future payments as a credit but they will not order you to return any money. The courts generally view any overpayment as a gift.