How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2182
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married to a non-citizen of the US when I was 20 years

Customer Question

I was married to a non-citizen of the US when I was 20 years old in 2002. The man I married did my reveal that he had a wife and children in his country of origin until after we married. He was using me to obtain a green card. I have my seen him since 2002, and I have no way of knowing where he might be (although a coworker of his told me 8 years ago that he moved back to his country). I hope that this is grounds for annulment, as it is polygamy and fraud. This all happened in PA, but I just recently moved to NJ roughly 3 months ago. How should I proceed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Yes this would be considered grounds for an annulment on two counts. One is fraud and the other is he could not marry you if he was already married. You can contact your local court clerk who can help you with the forms necessary for filing if you cannot afford an attorney to help you.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

While you could file in your current state it is more complicated. The easiest route is to file in the state you were married. You should also notify USCIS about this.