How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9396
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 32 and have never known the identity of my father. My

Customer Question

I am 32 and have never known the identity of my father. My mother, with whom I am very close, has always refused to tell me. I would like to bring a civil action to compel her to tell me who my father is (or who he could be). Can I do this in court? We live in Maine.
Many thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

The Court has no jurisdiction to force her to reveal that information.

If he not identified on your birth certificate, you might locate him through ancestry DNA testing.

I hope this information is helpful.