How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12209
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have and agreement we each claim a child but I

Customer Question

My ex and I have and agreement we each claim a child but I just found out he claimed both what should I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Unfortunately, the IRS doesn't generally care about agreements between parents. The person who can claim the children is the parent who has the child for most of the time during the year, etc. However, if your agreement was signed off by a judge, then the IRS will generally adhere to it. If that is the case, then you should simply claim your child as usual. If the IRS comes knocking because two parents claimed the child, then you show the IRS the agreement and your ex will get into trouble rather than you.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Related Family Law Questions