Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What is dismissal of Dependency? What isa six month

Customer Question
What is dismissal of Dependency? What...
What is dismissal of Dependency?
What isa six month postpermanency re
view?
What is Dependency
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
What is Dependency?
What is six month postpermanency review?
In the state of california can a relative legal guardian adopt the children?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2016
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

A 6 month post permanency hearing lets the court see:

1. How the child(ren) is doing, and
  2. How the parent(s)/guardian(s) is doing with the services the court ordered.

If the child(ren) lives with a parent or guardian, the court can:

1. Dismiss the case, or
  2. Keep supervising the child(ren) with family maintenance.

If the child(ren) does not live at home, the court can

1. Give the child(ren) back to a parent(s)/guardian(s). The family will stay with family maintenance, or
  2. Keep the child(ren) out of the house and order family reunification services.

However, if the child(ren) was under three years old when the court took them away from the parent(s)/guardian(s), the court can stop family reunification services. This happens if the parent(s)/guardian(s) do not participate or exhibit appropriate progress in treatment programs.

This hearing determines if progress is being made to find a permanent home for the child(ren) and if the case can be dismissed. This type of hearing can occur every six months until the case is dismissed.

When a guardianship is established generally, juvenile court dependency is dismissed because the legal guardian is now the responsible party to meet the needs of the child. In providing services leading up to the guardianship, the social worker has supported the guardian family to function without child welfare services by helping the family to secure and engage in supportive community services, as well as to anticipate future needs of the child. The role of the social worker is minimized by virtue of the legal standing of the guardians.

Yes, a relative can adopt the children.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification in this regard. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as this is how I get credit for my time and information provided.

Thank you