How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2156
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 30 years old, disabled and live in California. My

Customer Question

I am 30 years old, disabled and live in California. My father neglected me, and emotionally abused me as a child for years. He took me and my sister who had the same disease as I do, Cystic Fibrosis, away from our Mother and slandered her to everyone. They split up due to his drug use and physical and emotional abuse. He had me quit school in the 8th grade to stay home and take care of my sister. My sister died in 2008, after receiving 2 lung transplants. She had a child in 2002 who I was also responsible for taking care of. He kept me from going back to school or working part time by getting a swing shift job which made it hard to get child care for my niece. He allowed me to hook up with every loser in town, never taught me ANYTHING, rxcept how to steal and lie as he is the master. He kept telling me that he was going to get child care for niece so I could get a life but never did. All the while he built up his credit, and bought a home. Then he met a woman and moved her in and I became chopped liver. My Mother was finally able to get custody of my niece after a long and expensive battle and we both live with her now. I am a wreck. My health has suffered, emotionally I am a basket case, have ADD and bi polar with PTSD. I have nothing. No job, an 8th grade education, unable to have a healthy relationship with men, am disabled and just wish I was never born. I need to know if I can sue him in Civil Court for emotional abuse etc. I feel he at least owes me some money which would make my life a bit easier at this point. Do I have a prayer of suing him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am so very sorry for all that you have been through. The law is often not fair in these matters. Generally states have not granted any unique right to sue even the most abusive of parents. Any cause kf action would have to be based on some theory of law like fraud or breach of a contract or physical assault. There have been attempts to sue a parent for emotional abuse and basically courts have dismissed those claims.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

It seems really unfair I know. The law is sometimes very unfair.