Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I'm hoping to get married. Being military, that's a little

Customer Question
more complicated when we're told...
I'm hoping to get married. Being military, that's a little more complicated when we're told to move. I just got stationed in Japan and my significant other lives in the USA. Is there anyway we could finalize the process online or would we have to be in a courtroom together?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/30/2016
Family Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

A proxy marriage is a marriage where someone stands in for the other party. That is, either the bride or the groom is not physically present for the wedding. During the solemnization of the marriage, based upon a power of attorney, an agent acts on behalf of one of the parties. Luckily Texas along with 3 other states in the U.S. allow proxy marriage in 1 form or another. California, Montana and Colorado are the other states. See Texas Statute below.

2.006 ABSENT APPLICANT and 2.007 AFFIDAVIT OF ABSENT APPLICANT

These two sections of the Texas Statues, Family Code, were changed by the Texas Legislature in HB 869 and became effective September 1, 2013.

The individual requesting the proxy by marriage must be serving in the military and stationed outside of the country.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?

Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer