How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19471
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my husband lock me out of our apartment on Chicago? I'm

Customer Question

Can my husband lock me out of our apartment on Chicago ? I'm not on the lease, but I get mail delivered here , and a couple bills are on eachothers name .
Which ones are my options at this point ?
Btw, I'm a student , he has been supporting me 100% , I don't have money but his money , and I don't have a place to go
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, what did you mean by "Which ones are my options at this point ? "

You did not state what you were trying to do and hence your options.

Kindly provide proper foundation for your question.

Do you live at the place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do at this point about this issue?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you did not address my concerns.

I cannot answer your question without clear understanding of what is going on.

Kindly provide the information requested.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my question is : can my husband locked me out of our home ?
The lease isn't on my name but we are married , I have some bills on my name ,
What can I do if he leaves in the street again?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No, your husband cannot lock you out of the marital home without a Court Order. However, if he does, you need to go to Court to obtain an Order from the Court forcing him to give you the new set of keys so that you can have access to the marital home. It does not matter that your name is ***** ***** the lease.

If he does not comply with the Court Order, you would then file for contempt action against him. If the Court finds him in Contempt, he would be jailed until he gives you the new set of keys.

You can obtain blank complaint and contempt forms at the Circuit Court in your County in the Clerk's office. Click on the link below to locate your Circuit Court: