Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughters school teacher offered to make a video to

Customer Question
provide to basketball scouts for...
My daughters school teacher offered to make a video to provide to basketball scouts for college and lost 8 of our videos. They were all of her best basketball career where she is in the top 50 shooters in our state history. Some of the tapes had my sons wedding and a family trip to Florida. He no longer works at the school and claimed he couldn't find them but didn't tell me until after she missed the opportunity to send them to any scouts. She ended up going to a local community college and later quit due to lack of satisfaction with the team challenge. I regret giving these videos to him and was never apologized to even.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/30/2016
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking if you can sue this man?

If the man was an employee of the school and he was offering to make a video so my daughter could get a college scholarship as basketball scouts were asking am I entitled to the loss of the value of the tapes/memories and the loss of my daughters missed opportunities? Who is responsible, the school since he was an employee or him personally. It happened on school property and was en employed teacher at the same school I was employed at. My daughter had potential for scholarships that she lost out on due to not returning requests for this video he offered to make.
This same teacher lost his position due to his license not being up to date. Neither of us work at the school any longer. I miss the memories the videos contained, not only outlet daughters high school basketball career videos but also they contained other important memories on them. Years ago people used the same videos for more than one event. I haven't used my video camera since as it left such a bad feelings. Perhaps if the teacher would've had the integrity to apologize for their loss but he never did. For a year he kept saying he was looking for them and then finally said they were lost in a move. At this point the basketball scouting had ended and requests were unmet from several division II and one division I college. Can I go to small claims for the value of these videos at minimum?
Please cancel this request. I guess it's not a legal matter. Thank you.
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, would you still like assistance, because it is a legal issue if he lost the tapes you provided him and he did not do what he agreed to do.
How long ago did this happen?