How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in MO my fiance gave me an att phone we bought kinda

Customer Question

I live in MO my fiance gave me an att phone we bought kinda of together I paid for almost half cash she works at [email protected] and put under her plan now we're done but she did give one to my mom as well now she wants the phones back saying there her property and are stolen they where Christmas gifts my phone is shut off now what rights do I have they are in her name
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

The phones were purchased out right and only the plans are in the other person's name, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave her two hundred cash she bought phone outright the other phone was on a plan I said I would give back unpaid phone but other one that is paid for no but they are under her name but gave to me as Christmas gifts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't call she turned off and locked phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She said calling in for theft because in her name
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

The police generally won't get involved in civil disputes. Basically this would be a small claims issue with one party alleging the item was a gift, the other alleging it was a loan.

If the phones were purchased outright, and the person(s) had possession of them and did not make monthly payments, then the court is likely to find it to be a gift, and award that property to the recipient.

In case it proceeds to small claims, here is information on that process:

Also any emails or other documentation (even texts) supporting one's position may be included to help support the position that it is a gift.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise kindly rate Positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!