Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In the state of Mississippi a court order to pay child

Customer Question
support and college tuition until...
In the state of Mississippi a court order to pay child support and college tuition until 21 was issued in 2000. 3 years ago my son and his mom moved to Texas and I moved to Wisconsin which say pay child support until 18. Is this something that should be modified or can it be? My son wants to drop out of school, get his GED, and go to college. He is a year behind in high school. I want him to finish to show he can pass before spending thousands on college for him to fail. No one will sign consent for him to drop out and get his GED so he said when he turns 18 in April he is going to do it anyway. Im just looking at my options. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/30/2016
Family Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If the divorce and the custody order occurred in the state of Mississippi, then that state would retain jurisdiction and the order would remain in place unless you can show a substantial change in circumstance (a very high standard) in order to file a motion to modify the custodial agreement. So yes it can be but it is probably an unlikely proposition. So it does not matter what the law is in Texas or Wisconsin, jurisdiction will remain in Mississippi.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?