How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5625
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died almost 15 years ago on April 23, 2001. I was

Customer Question

My husband died almost 15 years ago on April 23, 2001. I was told I had to return his Apr;il check as he had lived the full month of April.
Now, I was informed by a mutual widow, that I could have been receiving his SS checks all these years. He was 71 when he died and I
was 68 years old. We had been married for 34 years.Could I or can I receive this money now. Pitsa Captain
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you rightfully were owed surviving spouse benefits all those years ago and to date. You can still apply but you'll only get the benefits going forward; there is no retroactive awarding of social security benefits. If you wish to apply for benefits as a survivor, contact Social Security at 1-***-***-**** to request an appointment.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.